How can I make gay friends?
- Go online! Hooray for internet friends!
- Events and youth network groups. Queer events are normally swarming with – you guessed it – queer people!
- Volunteering. Volunteering can be a fantastic way to make queer friends while giving back to the LGBTQIA+ community!
- Start something yourself!
What to say when a friend comes out to you?
- Thank your friend for having the courage to tell you.
- Don’t judge your friend.
- Respect your friend’s confidentiality.
- Tell your friend that you still care about them, no matter what.
- Don’t be too serious.
How can I help my friend come out? Offer your friend a hug – it could mean a lot to them. You might feel hurt that they hadn’t told you before, but try to remember the challenges and fears LGBTI+ people often face in being open about their identity. Respect your friend’s privacy – it is up to them to decide if, when, and how they tell other people.
How should I respond if my child comes out to me?
- DON’T Ignore it.
- DON’T Say you “knew all along.”
- DON’T Tell them “this is just a phase.”
- DON’T Use religion to shame them.
- DO Tell them you believe and love them, and thank them for telling you.
- DO Ask about what kind of support they need.