What was the first openly gay movie? The Best Man (1964), where a character, played by Shelley Berman, is accused of being homosexual, was the first American film to use the word “homosexual”. Brock Peters played one of the first expressly homosexual characters in an American film in The Pawnbroker in 1964.
What movies have gay characters?
- Rock Haven (2007) Not Rated | 78 min | Drama, Romance.
- All Boys (2009) Not Rated | 72 min | Documentary, Drama.
- Brokeback Mountain (2005) R | 134 min | Drama, Romance.
- Torch Song Trilogy (1988)
- A Single Man (2009)
- Sasha (2010)
- Weekend (II) (2011)
- Three Dancing Slaves (2004)
What should I watch gay?
- ‘Betty’ (HBO/HBO Max) Alison Cohen Rosa/HBO.
- ‘Billions’ (Showtime)
- ‘The Bisexual’ (Hulu)
- ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ (Netflix)
- ‘Cucumber’ and ‘Banana’ (Amazon)
- ‘Dear White People’ (Netflix)
- ‘Elite’ (Netflix)
- ‘Empire’ (Hulu)
What is a LGBT movie? To be considered for the list, a movie had to prominently feature gay, lesbian, trans, or queer characters; concern itself centrally with LGBTQ+ themes; present its LGBTQ+ characters in a fair and realistic light; and/or be seen as a touchpoint in the evolution of queer cinema.